Saturday, October 21, 2006

Somebody give me a shotgun...

OK, this may not seem like a big deal to some people. But we have a bit of a situation. Our cat Jasmine is an outdoor cat. A couple of days ago we got her a collar with an identification tag on it. If it was my decision, she would not be an outdoor cat. But she was previously owned by our in-laws and she was outside all the time and has been an outdoor cat for years. So if I don't let her out she gets all crazy. The problem is, however, there is a male yellow tabby that has been harrassing, and stalking her since we've lived in Brunswick. He is relentless in his pursuit of her. At times he comes to our screendoor and stares her down. She hisses and growls and one time I saw her beat him in the head. Caleb and I have tried everything to get him to stop. I've taken a metal pole and thrown it at him ( didn't hit him), Caleb has taken his airsoft gun and shot it in the air to try and scare him and I've even chased him off of the apartment complex property. But he has continued to stalk her. I don't know what I should do. I know that Jasmine needs to be outdoors to be happy, but I'm afraid that the tabby is going to hurt her someday ( he's a GIANT cat). I don't think he has a collar. Should I call the pound? If he has a collar but no identification, what steps should I take? I got 2 calls this evening by some people living in the apartment who heard a cat fight and found her outside. I wasn't home at the time. This cat just passed by our glass door about 20 minutes ago. He is absolutely persistant. What would you do? I don't want to hurt him. But he's beatin' on my baby. Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I'm just kidding about the title of my post. I wouldn't really shoot him LOL.

6 comments:

Bek said...

we had a cat in our yard for a long time that i did not like. he didn't seem to belong to anybody around us. and we could not get rid of him. after calling the apl, to no success (they don't come get the animals, you have to bring them in ON APPOINTMENT only!! and they were booked for weeks), FINALLY andy had an idea. he put him in the trunk of his car. rode him to another neighborhood. and dropped him off. we have never seen him since. i am not kidding. it worked. good luck with the tabby. get out that car, caleb.

Paula said...

Wow. I have no idea what I'd do in this case, but pray for my cat, I guess!

Crystal said...

Bek, that was an awesome idea Andy had! Unfortunately , this cat won't come near us, especially now that we've scared him several times. The good thing is that Jasmine is not going out as much since it's cold outside. I still keep my eyes peeled though.

Janessa said...

um...Maybe he will stop coming around since its getting cold out. :( Ill pray for you! I like Beks idea too!

Laura said...

Caleb is a ff, right? Have him run the line off the truck, charge it and....

I'm kidding.

A garden hose should work just fine. ;)
~L.

Margo said...

B.B. gun.

Does that sound mean?

Maybe I'd call the pound.