Friday, March 23, 2007

Funny little miracle

Those of you who have read my blog know that Caleb and I got a cute little parakeet who we named Swoops a few weeks ago. Everything has been going pretty well. He is adjusting to his new home and is less afraid of us. Well not only is he cute he is smart. Caleb and I were gone all day on Sunday and came back home late in the evening. Caleb goes over to check on Swoops and looks at me and says "um, honey...where's the bird?". I look at him and say " um...what?!". So I go over and sure enough, there is no bird. We go around the apartment calling for him, whistling and doing our best to make bird sounds (I'm sure this looked hilarious). All of a sudden out from around the corner comes Jasmine. Our little hunter cat. OH NO. So we frantically start tearing the place apart, turning over furniture, crawling on our hands and knees expecting to find, as gruesome as it sounds, a dead half-eaten bird. About 5 minutes pass and we hear "flutter". We look around the area it came from but we see nothing. And then out he comes with a flutter, flutter and just looks at us as if to say "where have you been all day?". I put him on my finger in amazement and look him over. He was FINE! There wasn't a mark on him at all. All toes were intact, no feathers missing and he looked like he did before we had left for the day. The miracle about this is that he was out for hours. And Jasmine, our hunter cat, who has brought her fair share of dead birds and mice and other things to the door, didn't even TOUCH him! We did find out later that our little genius bird had learned how to open his doors. So now we have to lock them up with twist-ties and little clips. This may seem like a little thing, but it really freaked us out. It shows that our big God who made the universe, cares even for His littlest creatures.

3 comments:

Margo said...

Wow! I'm so glad your cat didn't eat your bird!! LOL This is such a cute story. :-)

Meggles said...

Aw..that's co cute. Our cat has jumped from a chair to the bird cage and was hanging onto the cage for a bit before he let go. Thankfully the cage didn't tip.

Glad the birds okay.

BekABoo said...

Pets can really give you a scare. My cat got out one day...in fact, the day I was coming home to pick him up to move. My poor grandma was the only one home all day and spent hours searching everywhere for him. She knew I'd be heartbroken if he were gone. She was so panicked. She said it was the only time she'd ever prayed over a cat! But he was found, safe and sound, hiding under the deck. He does listen, even with the little things. Glad the excitement is over!